Got Style? Well, do you?
Hello loyal readers!
A few weeks ago, I wrote a post entitled, Got Style? (You can find it here if you missed it.) The response was so tremendous that we’ve decided to make it into a regular series. As such, you can always find it in the section above section marked “Series” above.
But what am I talking about? Coco Chanel reminded us, “Fashion changes but style endures”. Read on!
Here are 3 more “Got Style?” tips for you:
1. Forget the outfit: Whaaaat??? Forget the outfit? What the heck are you talking about? What I mean by this is forget the matchy-matchy. Grrr-animals are for kids not women. There’s a big difference between fashion and style. “Fashion” is often an entire outfit by one designer whether it’s from Target or Neiman Marcus. Case in point” I was at a weekend event last summer a woman was dressed in Chanel head-to-toe every single day. Clearly, she had no style; he was buying labels! Style is something quite different. Read on!
2. Practice the unexpected: What I mean by this is, mix it up ladies. The compliments I receive most often are as a result of this little tip. Think:
- pearls with flannel or a jean shirt;
- heels with jeans (you can skip this if your feet hurt like mine);
- fur scarf with a puffy coat, jean jacket or even short sleeves (trust me on the short sleeves);
- vintage with a tailored trend piece;
- a shirt by Target with something a bit more expensive; and
- yoga pants with a long cashmere sweater.
None of this needs to be expensive. We’re creating style not a bank account measure. The key here is just to mix it up unexpectedly.
3. One quality trend only per outfit: You can file this under “easy does it”. Dressing in all leopard will most likely get you shot; not a style award. If I am going to wear a trend piece, I am also very careful to make sure it is of the highest quality that I can find. Cheap is cheap.
What are some of your style struggles? What are some of your style tips? I’d love to hear.